Saturday, August 29, 2009

IT WAS WRITTEN IN THE HOT POTATOE



picture of a "HOT POTATO" borrowed from idiomsbykids.com


In my upcoming book HOT POTATOE, there is TONS of my artwork and comics. But besides that there is also some great writing! Drawn and Quarterly has comissioned some of the finest writers in the land to discuss my works and their relevance. It also features a lengthy intereview conducted by Mr. Tom Devlin in "The Morris Room".

Here are some short excerpts from the book:


It was around this time that The Marco struck up an instant friendship with a witty young classmate called Dirty Debbie. It was a friendship that ultimately would rescue The Marco from the precipice of artistic irrelevance. And, in retrospect, it becomes clear that the answer to the original question begs another perhaps more important question: “Who the Hell is Dirty Debbie?”

-Dirty Debbie, from Who the Hell is Dirty Debbie?



Each piece is intricately composed; he means to cover the entire surface from the outset, I would suppose, because he does. He must build the thing in pieces and make his decisions as he goes along, again like a Jazz Musician improvises. Or a Garage Rock Hippy. Or some crazy Dub Reggae Dude. There’s an ideal of structure held in mind as the artist “plays” and the results, no matter the subjects held therein, are fanciful, dancing freak jams. They speak of the surreal. Also like a musician, he has refined his “fills”, his “licks” so to speak. Shading a background or the pattern between two forms takes on intricacies and stylistic peculiarities that remind me of a Cool Jazz or Heavy Prog Rock Player’s constantly evolving interpretation of a standard, bent and personalized so often that the original all but disappears to make way for the new structure.

Tommy Lacroix, from See You In the Funny Pages, Marc Bell: A Highly Organized Guy



In fact, Bell’s bacon rarely behaves like proper bacon at all. In typically evasive fashion, Bell had only this to say about the matter: “I came up with a way to draw bacon that interested me and so I started to repeat it. It looks like an abstracted, boxy form of bacon.” Indeed.

-Lulu Peabody-Sherman from Hello, Is Peter Gabriel There? An Overview of Recurring Memes and Utterances in the Marc Bell Oeuvre



“I understand, Mitch,” Farmer Marco said, putting on his boots, “If you need to work for Slegg, you should go and do it. Slegg is privy to the gnewer ways, he’s more efficient now, and you’ll be in good hands.” He was half–mumbling now, with a frown: “I like to keep things fairly simple but the days of these kinda operations like I run are probably numbered, you gotta expand or yer screwed and all that. You know, the same ol’ “cry–me–a–river” story. Now, Mitch, can you meet up with Chauncey Boy for those supplies? I have a few things I have to do around here.”

Marco was fumbling around now, looking for something, “I can’t find my hat, have you seen it?”

-Balsam Adhesives from Pile Of Bacon

No comments: